[luau] Upgrade BIOS on Intel STL2 High end server board?

Wilson wilson at wilsonch.d2g.com
Sat Aug 3 09:43:01 PDT 2002

I'm trying to update 2 server's motherboard BIOS's at St. John the Baptist
School, which runs on Intel STL2 motherboards. The original BIOS's that came
with the board were the 1st release BIOS and since then they had fixed many
problems. The reason I'm trying to upgrade the BIOS is because theses two
servers crash every 2-3 months and corrupts the OS. I'm thinking its either
a driver problem, Upgrade firmware on PCI ATA100 IDE Controller (I have this
cause the server board runs has U160 SCSI and only has 1 IDE port that runs
@ 66mhz. I have a IDE drive that can use the ATA100 speeds), BIOS needs to
be updated, or memory timing problems (Intel site say's this board is really
picking on the timing & the Crucial memory I have is not on their Certified
List (512MB PC133 ECC REGISTERED SDRAM).

Now, here's the kicker that's putting some major hurt on me. :(
The BIOS upgrade is not standard upgrade where you just flash the new image
but they need you to flash several items.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/stl2/latest_bios.htm
Intel(r) STL2 Server Board
Latest BIOS
The current Intel(r) STL2 Server Board production BIOS is version 1.12, BMC
01.19 and 11.19, and FRUSDR 4.3.B.
The recommended BIOS upgrade method is as follows:
1. CMOS clear
2. BMC Upgrade   <--No clue what this is for
3. BIOS
4. FRU/SDR       <--No clue what this is for
5. CMOS clear
Im stuck on part 2 because the file that they want you to load onto a floppy
is bigger then the floppy. They also have some unclear install notes on how
to do the install. Has anyone upgraded the BIOS & other recommend BIOS
upgrades on theses Intel STL2 (dual PIII server motherboards)? Also, the
Crucial memory is not on Intel's registered list of memory. This board is
currently using 512MB ECC Registered Sdram, and everytime you boot up you
get a DIMM error. This is my second set of memory modules from Crucial. Do
you think this is the same problem the Tyan boards were having (Dual AMD
boards)?

Let me know if anyone thinks they can fix it. I'll buy you lunch. :)
Thanks!

Wilson