[luau] MSWindows

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Aug 2 14:44:00 PDT 2002

Eric Hattemer wrote:
> If nothing exists for this, something could easily be invented.  I don't
> know if ftp, sftp, or scp are capable of deleting files, but it would be
> easy enough to make a graphical ssh client that does all of its graphics
> client side.
>
> -Eric Hattemer

You mean a frontend?  Use an FTP client then, FTP can delete files (see
the DELE command).  However, file management is a very, VERY small
portion of remote system administration.  It's MUCH easier to just ssh
in and do it from a command line.  There have been attempts at making
remote GUI administration tools (see webmin, and I think LinuxConf had
seom remote features).  They work for simple tasks, but if your system
has major problems (and believe me, there are problems yuo can get into
where a webmin won't work, but you can still SSH in), the CLI can save
your behind.

Notice also that all these thigns are sysadmin functions.  A sysadmin
should know the command line anyway because by definition a sysadmin
should be able to fix a system no matter what state it's in (assuming
it's fixable at all).  This includes no network, broken XFree install,
etc.  In those situations, you can bet you'll want a command line.

For the average user, a GUI is fine.  The average user isn't working on
systems hundreds of thousands of miles away.  The average user won't
want to fix their own XFree install; they have someone else to do it for
them (a sysadmin).  The average user doesn't normally need to know how
to use a command line.  If you don't want to learn the command line, you
don't need to, but don't call yourself a sysadmin until you do (and
learn a bunch of other things too)!

Also, just because you think a command line is "archane" doesn't mean we
all do.  This whole movement is about choice.  If you don't like
Windows, try Linux.  Don't like Linux? Try a BSD.  Don't like any of the
BSDs?  Try QNX, or AtheOS, or YammitOS for all I care.  Don't like any
of those?  Write your own OS like Linus did.  The command line is there
because there is a desire for it.  I personally have 5 tabs up in my
GNOME console right now, but there's no need for it.  I could be using
Nautilus for file management, and my menus for launching and such, but I
like doing things from a command line.  I find that a good shell is a
very handy thing.

I used to think the command line as "archane" or "cryptic" too, but that
was because I was basing my thoughts off DOS's command.com command
interpreter.  I don't even think I can call that a shell.  BASH is very
powerful, but I don't say it's as easy to use as a GUI.  Don't start a
compaign to eliminate something just because you don't like it.  If you
can get by without it, just ignore it.  If there's functionality missing
in your favorite GUI application, feel free to write it.  If you're not
a coder (and I understand this completely; I'm not either), submit a bug
report or request the feature.  Most projects listen to their userbase
as that's what makes them popular.  In the OSS community, there's
competition, but unlike the commercial software world, this competition
is based on functionality, not price.  If something doesn't have what
you need, ask for it.  If the project doesn't pay any attention, pick a
different app.  There's the whole KDE vs. GNOME thing.  Again, CHOICE!

</flame mode>

--MonMotha