[luau] Gnomba Connection

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Apr 30 04:49:36 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Miranda" <dragonhawk007 at hotmail.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Gnomba Connection
>> Download the file and use "rpm -ivh packagename.rpm" to install it.
> **** I went into shell and logged in under root and did the following:
>
> rpm -ivh packagename.rpm
> error: open of packagename.rpm failed: No such file or directory

Don't copy the command verbatim. =)  Substitute the actual packagename for
packagename.

> If you are using LILO, it may require manual editing of /etc/lilo.conf and
> reinstallation of LILO.  **** I'm using LILO and have not idea of how to
> reinstall LILO... I have an idea of how to edit Lilo.conf with the editors
> but I wouldn't know what to put in..  I'm still a greenhorn... but
learning
> very quickly... (I really appreciate your help)

Doh!  It has been so long since I've used LILO that I cannot remember the
syntax required.  The syntax will also depend on the exact kernel and initrd
filenames installed by that kernel RPM.  Please check the contents of
/etc/lilo.conf before and after the installation of that RPM.  If it
changed, then it did automatically add itself to your LILO.  Then simply run
"lilo" to reinstall LILO and the boot menu change will take effect.

If /etc/lilo.conf did not change automatically (I don't remember if Mandrake
does or not) you will need to add the new kernel to your LILO configuration
manually.  Does anyone else remember how?