[luau] HDD-less Linux

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Apr 26 22:11:25 PDT 2002

Heh, finally found a patch that makes it compile cleanly (I'm not really
a C wizard or a linker wizard, but I'm learning! :) and compiled it and
put it on the disk.

In it's current state you'll have to modify the config every time it
boots up (it doesn't even have /etc/ppp on the ramdisk), but that
shouldn't be too hard to fix.  The ramdisk is modifyable pretty easily,
just take the rootfs.gz file off the floppy, uncompress, mount loopback
(fs type is minix), modify to suit your needs, unmount, compress the
image, put back on floppy, and lilo -r <mountpoint of floppy> to
reinstall lilo on the floppy.  In the future I'll probably move to
SYSLINUX on the floppies, but for now I'm using lilo.

I don't know how dial on demand works, if there is a special util you
need to do it, feel free to tell me where I can get a source tarball and
I'll see if I can't cram it on the floppy.

Of course the disk also has the full linux 2.4 packet filter on it, with
all it's stateful glory :)  It also has full ipv6 support should you be
so inclined.  You could even do a firewall on a bridge (like a PIX) with
it, though that won't apply in this situation unless you want to get
fancy with DMZs.

Minimum system requirements for this thing are about a 486/DX-25 (it
MUST have an FPU, the kernel does not have FPU emulation to save space),
16MB of RAM (and this is tight, if you are going to have lots of
connections for the connection tracker to track, you'll need more RAM).
  I'd probably reccomend at least a 486/DX-50 and 20-24MB of RAM for a
minimum (remember, the ramdisk takes 4MB of your ram, 8MB systems
probably won't be usable).

The disk image is at:
http://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/~monmotha/hddlesslinux/lanwanrouter-1.0-2.img

To write it to a floppy, use dd: "dd if=file.img of=/dev/fd0"

Remember this is still in a fairly early form (which is why it's TOTALLY
unconfigured), suitable for people comfortable with a little tinkering
to get it to work.

Also keep in mind that it is a RAMDISK!  This means that if the power
goes out, it reverts to the same state that it was when it booted up the
last time.  In the future, I'll try to make it so that it updates the
ramdisk image when it shuts down properly, but that can wait until later :-)

--MonMotha