[luau] A Mission For Luau

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Apr 25 20:59:25 PDT 2002

Depending on you you paralellize it, you may run in to trouble with
hubbed 10baseT.

Mosix, for example, craves bandwidth by it's very nature (basically
extending your system to make it act something like a HUGE SMP system).
  Think of how fast your CPU front side bus is then compare that to
10mbit ethernet, then factor in the fact that you will be colliding a
*LOT* since all hosts will be trying to do a bunch of stuff at once.
Other forms of paralellization are much less bandwidth dependent.  For
mosix, Switched 100BaseT is considered a bare minimum due to these
extremely high bandwidth requirements (if there is a more commonly used
node, it will often have a GigE uplink I'm told).

Render farms, for example, can have the chunk of what they need to
render handed them, then given time to cruch it before returning the
final product.  While it's crunching the scene, it needs no network
connectivity at all except maybe to inform the master as to its
progress.  The same applies to distributed.net style, the hosts know how
to crunch, they just need to be told what part to crunch then upload
their results.

If you do go hubbed 10BaseT, you should probably put a switch at the
center to keep the collision domains small, then set the "task
paralellizer" to hand out work with those collision domains in mind.

Don't you just *LOVE* ethernet? :)  There are much better networks for
making clusters, but ethernet still has the same thing going for it that
it did when it came out: it's dirt cheap.  You might be able to get a
networking company to donate some old switches to you for this; they
need only be 10Mbit since that's what your hubs are.

--MonMotha