[luau] A Mission For Luau

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Apr 25 20:31:45 PDT 2002

On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 05:13 PM, Dustin Cross wrote:

> Aloha,
>
>    I would be willing to help sort through hardware and build some
> working
> systems.  I also have some 16 port 10-base-T hubs (6) and a couple
> 10-base-
> T systems that can support up to 108 ports if we wanted to try and build
> some massive parallel system.  10-base-T isn't the best, but it is
> free.  I
> also has a room full of monitors (~20).  Sandi and I have an extra
> house on
> our property that we use as storage.  It doesn't have electricity, so I
> run
> extension cords when I do work out there.  We could store stuff
> there.  I
> could run an internet connection out there if we needed.
>
> I can think of three things we could do with these types of systems:
>
> 1. build usable linux desktops and give them away on a first-come-first-
> serve basis.
>
> 2. use systems not suitable for desktops to make firewall/router servers
> and give them away on a first-come-first-serve basis.
>
> 3. set-up a lab for luau members to learn and play or build a beowulf
> cluster or something like that.  The problem with this is we need a
> location.
>
> I would really like to see something like the Luau lab set up for Luau
> members to learn and play and anyone else to come by and learn, but we
> would need a location and I don't think the termite eaten house on my
> property would be good.
>
> Dusty

Excellent ideas.  The house sounds great.  All the stuff you already
have is incredible.  A LUAU lab would be supreme.  My employer has a lot
of locations around the island.  I am going to propose to her the
dedication of some space to the community.  It may take a while, but it
would be good for her, and great for all of us.  I think that it could
happen.  It is a splendid idea, Dusty.  The luau lab.  Yes.

Off to class now.  No more enthusiastic replies to all these good ideas
for the next five hours.  Hope they keep coming.  You guys know best.

scott