[luau] A Mission For Luau

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Apr 25 18:09:01 PDT 2002

Several weeks ago I spoke with Jon Fujiwara at the University of
Hawaii's College of Business about taking all the computers they trash
and doing something with them.  The idea came from observing this heap
of hardware that sat under a staircase for weeks while everything good
was pilfered.  Eventually it was all trashed.  I am convinced that a lot
of that could have been used.  Jon tells me that the few charities who
accept hardware only want stuff "fast" enough to run windows.  This
leaves a lot of "trash".  Charles described to me another pile of pc's
outside of UH's Physics department.  I think that if we want to
positively influence the community's impression of Linux/*bsd, the
conversion of old PC's for the poor and disenfranchised (of which we
have much in Hawaii) should become our mission.  It would create great
press for linux in general, and it would generate networking
opportunities for you guys who want it.  Perhaps a non-profit company
could be created to facilitate this.  I have a second phone line that
could be used to field interested calls.  I am sure that we all have
space to store some hardware; I have a large garage I can donate.  You
each could help hunt down "junk" from our local universities, etc.

Every day there is good stuff going to waste here.  There is a
tremendous digital divide on the islands.  I would imaging many of Sandi
and Dustin's neighbors in the Kahaluu area could benefit.  There are
churches, senior citizens, etc., that are waiting for your efforts and
creativity.  We as the local linux community can do something about this
that demonstrates our capacity to affect real social change with this
open source linux thing.

I have been waiting for when I had time to delve into this to post it to
the group.  The post below that I saw on Slashdot is inspiring.  Here in
the land of Aloha we can do something special.  Let's find a way.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/25/0515220&mode=flat&tid=99

An Anonymous Coward writes "Out in Oakland, CA a group is taking donated
PC's and breathing new life into them with Linux. They turn around and
donate the computers to schools, build POVRAY render farms (with MOSIX)
and generally promote Linux."