[luau] Firewire PCI card

Dean Fujioka dean at poshawaii.com
Thu Apr 18 17:15:44 PDT 2002

> Hi Dean,

Hi Rick

> I've had excellent luck w/ the cards I bought. They're
> lucent chipset based, FW323-04 cheapo-imports. No
> software came with them, they were from Ebay. ~$20
> bucks each.

Oh.. that's about as cheap as I've seen them ($13 at pricewatch w/o
shipping)

> Have used it w/ ADS Drive Kit and my Sharp-DV to do
> home videos, cut avi/mpegs and burn-to-cds. I only use
> it these w/linux so all tools are open source.

Open Source is Always a good thing.

> Admittedly, some firewire things will take a bit more
> time to get working w/linux but the Sharp DV was super
> easy, just a kernel recompile to get current sources
> and build the apps, it was usable within an a hour.
> BTW I used RH 7.1 and 6.2 back in November, 7.2 now
> has support for my gear from the get go so less than
> an hour. -YMMV

That's good news. I'm getting a Sharp DV. That's actually my main task, is
getting the DV and editing streams.

> Have fun and share some good/clean mpegs w/ us. i live
> in Seattle so a sunny beach video will be very much
> appreciated. :)

As soon as I can figure it out, after I get my camcorder, the card, the
software all working together, I'll try to get a quick clip out there.

>   ( __SEATTLE__)

Nice cloud. 8)