[luau] computer set-up advice

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Apr 16 20:31:14 PDT 2002

Rodney,

	You could quite easily configure the first computer to be a
router/firewall/mailserver.  MonMotha's firewall (see the link at
http://mplug.org) will also do the IP Masquerading for you.  If the web
site you host is getting too much traffic for the router, shift it to the
second computer behind the firewall, and let the router do its thing all
by itself.

	You can use secure shell to access files on all the computers if you
like.  If you are ***very*** careful and brave enough, you may try to use
telnet or ftp on the internal side of the LAN to access and exchange
files between boxes. Personally, I prefer to leave my firewall box locked
up pretty tight and I don't run any unnecessary services there lest I
tempt fate too much.  So I use only secure shell to get into my firewall
box, and I have written the firewall rules so that I can only do that
from inside the LAN.  I also would be a little leery about running a
"SAMBA" server on the firewall box for the same reason.  It would
probably be safer to use the second computer as a fileserver for all
three boxes.  That way, your file server is behind the firewall, is
fairly well protected, and is running on a relatively fast box that
probably has a much faster I/O speed than the P200.  You can also run
another firewall on the second box to help protect yourself, but that may
not be necessary.

	Other folks on the list may have some thoughts on this, I would seek out
as much help as you can find before you start stringing cat 5 cables ;-))

Good luck,
Ben