[luau] Mac OSX / User Friendly?

Cyberclops Cyberclops at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Apr 6 12:08:56 PST 2002

Here's the question:  Is OS-X actually user friendly?  After spending
lot's of time with Linux and putting a great deal of effort into making
it user-friendly, I have come to the conclusion that Linux isn't user
friendly primarily because of file permissions and software management
issues.

For example when you create a new folder (directory) in KDE it doesn't
ask you what permissions you want to set when you create it.  More over
you can sometimes think that you are saving a document or file into a
folder and it acts as though it is being saved, but only later you learn
that nothing was saved at all because you didn't have permission.

This has happened to me in GIMP, and it happened to me yesterday on a
whole bunch of KDE3 files that were being downloaded.  They all seemed
to be saved, but then the new folder was empty and I had to do it all
over again.  It wasn't a case of them being downloaded into a different
folder by mistake.

Another huge issue is software installation.  It's still far too
difficult to manage the software on the system.  A lot of this is
distribution specific. but in my most recent case, the KDE3 install had
a few glitches in it and was getting mixed up with KDE2.  When I tried
to remove only the KDE2 files it took the KDE 3 with it.

Now of course there will be those on the list that will claim I don't
know what I'm doing.  They might say if you used the CLI you wouldn't be
having these problems.  But to what extent do you need to be a full on
system administrator just to run a single home computer?

Again question is has Apple made their system more user friendly and
more intelligible by an ordinary person?  I don't know.  It could be
better, or it could be worse.  What we know is that it has a great look
and feel, but I'm questioning if it has the same problems as Linux.  As
for the Apple file system, they probably had to do that to keep it
compatible with early Macintosh systems.

How is the "fstab" managed on OS-X?

Does the system have true flexibility or is it limited to the way it is
sold from Apple?  Obviously Macs aren't particularly economical and for
the most part are totally unupgradeable.  They can actually clutter your
actual desktop with the addition of extra, but required USB peripherals
hanging on the side. (Diskette Drive)  The cost machine is one thing,
but the additional software is going to be very expensive for everyone
who chooses to use it.

The software on linux is getting better and better and of course the
cost is for the most part minimal.

While I have complaints about Linux, it is what I'm using, and it's good
enough for most of what I do.  I'm into graphics and I particularly
enjoy "gimp", so I think I would stick with Linux for that reason alone.

The Macs are very tempting, but I don't think they are from me because I
have a low budget personality, and general don't pay extra for designer
items such as expense cars and clothes.

Worst of all the OS-X operating system doesn't run on a PC clone and I
have a  bunch of them.  Macs and OS-X just doesn't fit my personality.