[luau] OS X - Really a Unix that will let me run Mac?

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Fri Apr 5 15:45:56 PST 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 12:16:47PM -1000, Jeff Mings wrote:
> How is the stability?  My linux boxen  have only _really_ crashed
> because of hardware problems or gross errors on my part (like kernel
> compiling errors) - how solid is OSX?

MacOSX is solid enough.  I can keep my box up for weeks without rebooting it.  I have had to lock up on my several times, but that hasn't happened since the last OS update.

> What hardware are you running on?

I am running it on an iMac Graphite DVD with 192M of RAM.

> The Aqua interface is very pretty, but looks very CPU-hoggish.  How is
> graphics performance for games, image editing, games, screen updates,
> games, and games?  Also, is there an alternative "leaner" display manager?

I wouldn't run it on a machine with less than 192M of RAM.  It performs well on the iMac - however it is very very sluggish on my brother's older Powerbook.

The graphics performance is nice enough for my needs - it does 3D and 2D well - Starcraft and the Sims look beautiful in OSX as well :)

As far as the display manager goes...  that is hardcoded into the GUI, there is no way that I know of to get rid of Aqua (short of booting into pure Darwin and loading XFree).

> Thanks for the info,

No problem.  Macs Rule.

putting on the asbestos jacket,
Charles