fwd: VOTE.A Virus

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 25 14:51:04 PDT 2001

24 September 2001 (17:49MST; 20:49EDT)

Hello --

Here we go again.

This time we have a new virus and this can do real damage to the data on
your hard drive. It is called VOTE.A (aka/WTC) Below are links to the
ComputerWorld article released today and McAfee-AVERT.

http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO64195,00.html

http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99212

This virus takes advantage of our interest in the World Trade Center
attack. Currently it comes with the subject: Fwd:Peace BeTweeN AmeriCa
And IsLaM ! Notice the irregular case. It includes an attachment of
WTC.EXE. If you receive such an eMail with an attachment delete it
immediately WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT AND WITHOUT EXTRACTING THE ATTACHMENT!!!

If you run the WTC.EXE attachment it will delete all the files in the
WINDOWS subdirectory (folder). Then it will at the FORMAT C: command to
the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Then when you reboot the computer you will wipe
out all your programs and data as the format command gets executed.

Currently McAfee will detect the virus as the Backdoor virus.

In addition, if the WTC.EXE is executed Microsoft Outlook users can be
unwitting propagators of this virus (Surprise! Get Netscape or Eudora if
you have not already done so, so you will not be vulnerable.) In
addition, it will attempt to delete your anti-Virus software.

Full protection from McAfee is not due until 04 October 2001 with the
4164 .DAT.

Be careful!

-- Gary Kabakoff