ZDNet: KDE 2.2.1 rivals Windows

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 23:54:59 PDT 2001

For home use, I believe it is actually preferable to use KDE (2.2 and
above) over Windows.  However, the lack of business applications (mainly
office suite, accounting software and vector drawing programs) remains
the main obstacle preventing Linux from being considered a viable
desktop alternative.

I know quite a few members at LUAU think very highly of
StarOffice/OpenOffice; however, at least for law office applications, my
own experience is, SO is still quite a  long way from being in the same
league as MS Office and WordPerfect.  With regard to accounting
software, I heard Gnucash is quite good, but, just like every other
Linux project, it is starving from lack of financial support.