RoadRunner Question & NIC card

Noli Boado Noli at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Sep 20 16:57:33 PDT 2001

Hi, I would like to ask a couple of related questions. My friend installed
Mandrake 7. something on my old P166 PC and I have a network at home.  He
put a 10mbps NIC card as my external interface w/ RR and a 10/100 for my
internal network.  I'm noticing some sluggishness with my other windows
clients as far as browsing thru IE5.5 and once and a while, I had to reboot
my linux box because my firewall would error out "could not find host ip..."
I'm thinking maybe the 10mbps NIC is going bad (3com Etherlink).  My first
question is does it make a diff as far as speed if i use a 10mpbs and a
10/100 mbps NIC connecting to RR?  My second question is if I have to
replace my external NIC, can somebody give a step by step or how to avoid
fitfalls in replacing a NIC on a working Linux box.  I would appreciate it
very much.  Thanks.  Noli