Scandisk

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 19 11:50:23 PDT 2001

Your different partitions would have different speeds because the fastest
portion of all hard disks is at the beginning of the drive.  Hard disks
steadily become slower as you get near the end, some even half the speed.
Search for "HDTACH" on Google and you'll find graphs of this performance
behavior of disks.

Usually "hdparm -t /dev/hda" testing only the beginning of the drive is
sufficient as a speed test.  If you are trying to stress test the entire
hard drive for defects, there are better utilities out there for doing this.
I'll look around for tools that do this tonight.