Remote SSH in X?

Chris M. Rafael thecomputerguy at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 14 11:37:08 PDT 2001

You have to have an X server running at home.
If you are using some flavor of UNIX at home
fire up what ever window manager you use and
from a shell, ssh to the destination box and
from there you can run what ever X app you wish.

You must have the ssh client installed on what
ever you are using at home.

to fire up the app, you need to point the X
app at your home X server: xterm -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0

If you are running windows at home you can use
Xceed or Xwin32 as a X server and something
like secure crt to ssh to work, and you would
use the same flag as above
(Xapp -d (destinaiton flag) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP) and
:0.0 which is the display you are using.