Linux server duals as desktop

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 00:41:22 PDT 2001

I have Corel Linux 1.2 on a dedicated AMD K6-2 machine at home which
serves as a file/printer server and IP masquerador.  This system has
been running continuously for more than a year now and I don't even
notice its existence.

But since Corel Linux is not upgradable, which prevents it from
installing the new gadgets like KDE 2.2, it's time to move to a
different distro (either Mandrake 8.1 or Red Hat 7.2).

I don't even know whether I can set it up again.  But my first question
is, is it a good idea to dual a server also as a desktop?  Any potential
perils?  Thanks.