Stock Market...

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Sep 8 20:12:44 PDT 2001

Everyone, please don't think that I may be defending Windows.  On the
contrary I wish every day that they would just disappear, but that
realistically wont happne.  I speaking the truth based upon my observations
of their products.  We cannot ignore the enemy if we want to be able to
fight them.  There are thousands of reasons why we must be deeply worried
about the impending Windows XP release, because we will be even farther
behind in our battle against Microsoft.  We are not doing ourselves a favor
in ignoring the very competition that we aim to beat.

Rather than others bringing up legitimate concerns of competing proprietary
products, I see almost nothing but closed mindedness.  But I rather not
argue the point if you folks don't want to hear my warnings of the fight
ahead.

You can order XP RC2 for $9.95 until mid-September if you want to try it for
yourself, alternatively it is relatively easy to find trial versions of XP
in warez that are active for 60 or 180 days (not that I'm advocating that or
anything.)

As for stability of NT, I was talking about Windows 2000.  In my experience
NT4 is not stable and reliable, but Windows 2000 can be if you use the right
hardware and drivers and you know what you're doing in windows
administration (a rare thing).  I have been running several Windows 2000
machines for nearly 2 years, with virtually ZERO crashes on conservative
MicronPC.com parts... but yes, Windows 2000 can be unreliable on certain
other hardware that I have tried.

Please do not assume that they suck merely because earlier products did
suck... and also please don't make statements of fact based upon your
experiences on only one piece of hardware.  There are just too many
variables involved here.

On the plus side, Windows lacks the Linux ability to replace the kernel and
other core components with many different alternatives.  If you crash in
Windows, you have little to no options.  In Linux, you have many options.
If your Linux distro vendor starts sucking, you always have the option of mo
ving to another without giving up your favorite applications.  You don't
have that kind of choice with Windows and proprietary products.