Stock Market...

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sat Sep 8 19:33:00 PDT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Warren Togami wrote:
>I beg you differ.  Have you actually tried XP?  It is exactly the opposite
>of what you describe here... and that is why it is a serious threat to
>everything we stand for...
>* It is very flexible.
>* It is very compatible (with the exception of software that Microsoft
>wanted to break)
>* Even easier to manage than earlier versions of Windows.
>* Arguably more secure than earlier versions of Windows.
>
>All of this SCARES ME.  All of these ease of use improvements will make
>users too content and happy.  They will happily use Microsoft Passport and
>other software because of convenience.

How would one get XP to try it?  I usually don't like entering these OS
war debates, but since you keep bringing it up, do you have screenshots or
detailed descriptions of these 'features'?  Otherwise, you're just blowing
smoke.  I heard many times how each successive Windows release is better
than the previous.  Obviously, it couldn't be worst.  But each time, I am
unimpressed.

As for XP being as stable (or more stable) than WinNT.  I use WinNT at
work; 8 hours a day; programming.  I saw the BSOD twice, and GDI
corruption many times.  GDI corruption is when the screen starts to
flicker every time I move my mouse out of a window.  This is with focus
follows mouse option enabled.  I have to reboot the system when this
happens.  Simply logging out and back in does not fix the problem.  It
seems the kernel GDI table is corrupted or something.  This happens at
least once every two weeks for the last 1.5 years I have been using XEmacs
for WinNT.  Granted, this may be an XEmacs problem.  But should that not
just kill XEmacs instead of causing this flicker and a reboot?

I did not switch to Linux because I hate Microsoft.  I switched because
Windows suck.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org