Idea for presentation

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Sep 7 03:45:43 PDT 2001

Red Hat has a very similar thing to Windows Update called the Red Hat
Network.  Only problem is that you need to be a paying subscriber to use it,
(although you get one free system subscription), and it is rather confusing
to initially setup.  If you are using the beta up2date access is free of
course, but immediately after the beta finishes you're at Red Hat 7.2 and
the need for subscriptions is back.

I feel that this is a serious mistake on the part of Red Hat.  They are
seriously lagging behind other Linux vendors who are supporting things like
URPMI and APT.  It surprises me that Red Hat is so big on open source (0% of
their distro is non-open source software), but so closed on the software
updates.  Downloading packages manually for updates was fine back in the
day, but it is no longer an option now due to expectations for corporation
adoption.  I'm completely annoyed that there's no convenient and free way of
using and updating Red Hat in the same kind of ease as Debian, Mandrake or
Connectiva.

On the other hand, this may force me to actually pay Red Hat a small amount
of money for their excellent quality assurance and reliability that I use
every day, and is saving me and my workplace thousands of dollars...