Partitioning *nix

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Sep 6 21:41:52 PDT 2001

Linux kernel 2.4 REQUIRES swap to be twice your amount of RAM, or bad things
happen in medium/high load.  Linus and Alan Cox have repeated this mantra
over and over again.  I still don't know why they say so, but do it!  Also
keep in mind that the beginning of the hard drive is faster than the end, so
I always suggest making the swap partition at the very beginning of the
drive.

If the hard drive is less than 8GB, then you are probably fine making all
non-swap space into a big partition for Linux mounted as root "/".  However,
most older computers BIOS cannot handle LILO booting from a partition above
cylinder 1024, so if your hard drive is larger than 1024 cylinders (usually
8GB in LBA access) then you will need a /boot partition below 1024
cylinders.  Win98 and 2000 has this same limitation when booting on x86
hardware.

If it is a single user system, I don't really care about performance and
filesystem fragmentation so I just put everything into one big /...
especially if the hard drive is small.