Someone here must be qualified...

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Oct 26 00:56:02 PDT 2001

Dusty, Charles and others,

	Thanks very much for your insight.  It certainly paints an interesting
picture.

Ben

On 10/25/01, 8:47:11 AM, Dusty <dusty at sandust.com> wrote regarding [luau]
Re: Someone here must be qualified...:

> From my experience $50-80K in Hawaii is the standard for being a govt
contractor (like this position).  It is possible to get more than $80K, but
not very and most of the non-government positions I have seen were $40-60k.
 For anyone who plans to stay on the island and work as a unix person, I
highly recommend getting a clearance.

> Even on the mainland there aren't too many unix people getting much more
than $80K.  In my experience $80k is about the average for the high end.
One of my friends made just over $100k salary, but that was rare.

> My friends who made tons of money were consultants and they made (ie took
home) as much as $125/hr.  They had no benefits and didn't know if they
were going to work 90 hours this week or zero hours for the next six weeks
(if they didn't work, they didn't get paid).  Mostly they worked a lot of
hours, but they have all been laid off since the fall of the internet
start-ups.

> But that is just from my experience from being a Unix admin and hiring
manager.