ZDNet: Lindows unites Linux and Windows

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 24 01:13:12 PDT 2001

Lindows unites Linux and Windows
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0%2c4586%2c5098693%2c00.html

Ummm....
These guys think that they can make a Linux distribution containing a mix of
open source and proprietary software that is a general operating system that
will install and run both Windows and Linux.  They hope to use a Linux core,
with Wine technology on top of it, and sell it for $99.  With your $99
purchase you can install it on as many computers as you own.

I really wonder how successful this may be.  I highly doubt Wine is
currently capable of what they plan on doing.  Maybe these Lindows.com guys
know something that we don't.  Perhaps they have licensing agreements with
one of the commercial WINE-like makers.  I've seen commercial Windows
compatibility layers and libraries that are much better than Wine, reliable
and compatible enough to be used in production Solaris environments.  Adtech
down in Kaimuki uses one of these products to port their Windows based
control software to Solaris.