Sair Linux & GNU's 25% Off Prometric Exam discount

Brian Russo brusso at phys.hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 26 00:13:32 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 04:29:39AM -0400, Epsas Nova wrote:
> But why should I have to pay some company for a piece of paper that says I am a "Qualified Linux Operator/Administrator?"   I probably have as much real-world Linux/Unix experience as anybody on this list - would it be just for me, and others like me, to have to purchase a certification in order to prove our professional competence to an employer?

I agree entirely, I feel this is even more valid with sys admin or
consulting work than for a network engineer. unix boxes are far less
straightforward and infinitely more complex than a bunch of
networking equipment running pretty well defined protocols and
flash-based hardware.

> I know that this is an old argument, but I still believe that it is relevant to discuss this.  Certifications may be fine for the career-oriented acolyte, but I believe that it is a bane to the professionals who already have a body of experience.

It's an old argument, but still a worthwhile one. The RHCE is as
deserving a target of humour as the MCSE IMNSHO.

--
Unix Staff, High Energy Physics Group   <brusso at phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux! http://www.debian.org <wolfie at debian.org>