configuring email

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Wed Oct 24 16:42:21 PDT 2001

    Are you trying to do this without running a DNS server that is
authoritative for those domains?  If not, using the "mailto:blahblah@
domain I made up.com" tags on your HTTP server will NOT work, since the
browser won't go through your webserver, but will send email through its
own smtp server.
    Here's what might be simpler:
Set up an html form on your page that sends the message, subject,
address, etc. of the email to a php script on your server.  The php
script can then email the person with the redirected address by first
consulting a simple file or a MySQL database that has the correct
associations.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about running bind or
doing time-consuming DNS configuration.

-Jeff Mings