configuring email

Roderick A Gammon AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 24 16:30:00 PDT 2001

Aloha-

I want to set up my server so that a mailto link on a web page reads
"user at domain.com" where user is an account on the server and domain is the
virtual domain for the website.  (I set up the websites as accounts on the
server with Apache reading the virtual domain from the account's pub_html
dir.)

Then within the account the .forward file will contain the line
"customer at customer-home-email.com".

So the website client sends an email to the website, and it gets forwarded
to the customer I set the website up for. Voila! an email address within the
virtual domain without customers logging into the server.

But of course it isn't so easy.

1. I can send an email from the account using pine, but it comes up
"account at aeg-inc.net" instead of "account at foo-domain.com"

2. When I send test emails to the web account Road Runner's postmaster
returns this message:
"Connection to aeg-inc.net with Ip Address 207.175.216.2 failed from
hawaii.rr.com-24.25.227.36
swh at aeg-inc.net
The operation completed successfully."

(Note that the operation completed successfully on a failure ;)

So, is there any way to do this that is somewhat simple?  Like adding a line
to a hosts file or something?  Anything short of "install bar package,
config bar.cf, bar.conf, and set qux in these other 10 apps."

I am not accusing list advice of being hairy, in fact I'm a big fan of
y'all.  Rather I am intimidated by the complexities of unix networking
beyond db and webserver setup.

Thanks so very much-
Rod Gammon

President, AEG, Inc.     | PhD. Candidate
Tools for multi-lingual  | Chinese Computational Linguistics
information processing.  | University of HI @ Manoa
http://www.aeg-inc.net   | http://www.aeg-inc.net/cuttingEdge