Brian Russo brusso at phys.hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 24 14:39:35 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 07:55:49AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> > Does anyone know how well linux runs on SPARC processors, and what distros
> > do this?  I heard that they ported linux over to run on SPARC, and I was
> > wondering if running linux on a SPARC would be better than running the
> > traditional Solaris...
>
> Solaris is slower on Sparc hardware than Linux or BSD, unless you have a
> large number of processors.  Linux currently doesn't scale beyond 8
> processors

linux 2.4.x has run on a starfire E10K with 24 cpus,
it should be able to go higher than this. Although frankly Solaris
might be a better choice at that end.

Of course now there's a sunfire E15k with up to 106 processors..
tell you what.. send me one and I'll get it working with 2.4...

 - bri
--
Unix Staff, High Energy Physics Group   <brusso at phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux! http://www.debian.org <wolfie at debian.org>