al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Oct 24 13:08:24 PDT 2001

Linux Robot wrote:

> I have some old 486's that I wanted to load linux onto, but I ran into a few
> problems.  When I tried installing RedHat7.1, the installer told me that I
> didn't have enough system memory, and wouldn't let me continue.  RedHat6.2
> told me to put in some driver disk which I didn't really know what they were
> talking about.  My assumption was that I could run 7.1 on the 486 (I wasn't
> planning on running X or any graphical stuffs), but I couldn't get through
> the install.  Am I going about this the wrong way?  Should I be looking into
> a different linux distro or maybe a BSD or something since my hardware is so
> old?  Or is there a way to get through the RedHat installer?
>
> Thanks,
> LR

###################

FYI:

I have successfully installed and use daily the following OS
versions some on old 486 boxes. The minimum RAM has to be 32
more is better.

Caldera 2.8 Linux
Mandrake 7.1 Linux

Free BSD 4.1  Unix
Freesco Routers Linux

The X windows runs on all of them fine.

If you want some info from me I will be at
info at hawaiidakine.com or phone me at 808-622-0043.

 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small
Business Hawaii.
Running Caldera Linux 2.4 & Free BSD 4.0 UNIX
Support Open Source in Business and Computing.