Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 24 10:55:49 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linux Robot" <linuxrobot at hotmail.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 2:04 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: loading linux on old hardware

> Does anyone know how well linux runs on SPARC processors, and what distros
> do this?  I heard that they ported linux over to run on SPARC, and I was
> wondering if running linux on a SPARC would be better than running the
> traditional Solaris...
>
> Thanks,
> LR

Solaris is slower on Sparc hardware than Linux or BSD, unless you have a
large number of processors.  Linux currently doesn't scale beyond 8
processors, and the BSD's currently can't do SMP at all.  (SMP for FreeBSD
is in development.)  Yes, you may want to go with Debian Linux for Sparc, or
one of the BSD's may be a good choice.