getting online with linksys cable router and SuSe linux live eval

jordan-af at hawaii.rr.com jordan-af at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Oct 21 15:29:16 PDT 2001

i have been trying all different types of network configurations but nothing seems to work. i need to fill out (i think) these following areas...
i hope this gay seperation with the *'s makes i easier to understand
a setup method either using DHCP ( i looked on my with my dads cpu router and it says DHCP enabled)

or

setup using a static ip address and subnet mask
under "detailed setup" there are 2 buttons called " hostname and domain" and " routing"
on the hostname and domains window it asks for  hostname and domain and it has as default, respectivley, Linux and Local
below that it has "nameserver list" which says YAST_ASK
and Domain search list which is blank
on the router button the window displays a prompt for Default gateway which is blank
below it is Expert Configuration where it asks for the following:
|Destination | Dumy/Gateway | Netmask | Device|
that is what it asks for and now for my network config
my outside connection or "WAN" ( as linksys puts it) is roadrunner
IP: you dont need to know
Subnet mask: 255.255.248.0
than a Default gateway and DNS ip's

on my lan...
my router or device is known as: 192.168.1.1
dubnet mask is (as always): 255.255.255.0
i have win2000 adv. server on here already and am using a live eval. of SuSe
the internet works fine with win2000
the router recognises me when i am using win2000 as 192.168.1.5 and the gateway as 192.168.1.1 (as it should be)

Anyways i have tried so many configurations and am stumped i shouldn't need any drivers according to the website. i am sorry for making this so long and dont flame me for not being able to get on the internet with linux it is (sadly) one of the things i dont know but i know a lot of other stuff on linux. mainly dont flame me because i dont know one thing. (that message goes out to all the people who would flame me.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME (in advance)