The evil that kapm-idled wreaks

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Oct 12 16:07:21 PDT 2001

If you compile your own kernel, use one of the following:

2.2.13-pre1, because 2.2.12 has a nasty symlink bug.  These kernels have a
completely new VM re-written from scratch.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/testing/
2.2.10-ac12 (should be very stable, using stabilized Rik's VM layer)
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/2.4.10/

Do NOT use 2.2.11, 2.2.12 or 2.2.12-ac1.

Alternatively, you can try Mandrake's Cooker kernels.  Simply download a
kernel RPM, use "rpm -ivh" then update your LILO or GRUB accordingly.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/testing/