The evil that kapm-idled wreaks

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Fri Oct 12 15:10:27 PDT 2001

    I've been playing with the uber Mandrake 8.1, and there is a lot to
love about it.  However, one thing is REALLY pissing me off.  An
apparent kernel module, kapm-idled, sucks about 59%  of the cpu,
according to top.  I don't need any apm functions, since this is a
server that won't be spinning down or running on batteries.  I have even
turned off the apm daemon.  The module can't be killed with  kill -9,
and doesn't show up in lsmod.  Under a different machine running RH
7.1, kapm-idled uses 0% of the cpu.  Has anyone else run into this?  I'm
going to try to compile a new kernel without apm functions just to kill
the darn thing.

Thanks,

-Jeff