Server platform comparison

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 10 00:17:04 PDT 2001

You don't mention what web and database servers you are planning on running
on the other two choices.
Linux + Apache + PostgreSQL (or MySQL) would be my choice.  The resource
requirements of SQL Server and/or Oracle are other factors to consider.

I run several sites using Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL on one Pentium 200Mhz
PC with 128MB of RAM (not to mention email, ssh, etc.). Providing the same
services using Windows would most likely require a significant hardware
upgrade. But that's just to illustrate how undemanding Linux can be, in your
case it sounds like you will have many more concurrent users than I have, so
you might want to invest on a decent server and plenty of memory regardless
of what route you go.

Just so I don't totally dump on the Microsoft option, PHP, MySQL and Apache
all have Windows versions free for download.
MySQL also has a ODBC driver called MyODBC which lets users interface with
MySQL databases using MS Office (Access, Excel, Graph, etc.).

The argument for OS X doesn't sound very strong unless you are planning on
the database server also being used as a workstation. Either that or I
totally didn't understand your reference to graphic tools.

There was a good set of articles in a past issue of Linux Journal comparing
all DBMSs available for Linux. PostgreSQL faired very well, with MySQL
ranking lower because of its lack of transaction support.

My two cents. Aloha and good luck,
Nelson