3rd party apps which secure MS Windows - such a thing?

Jesse Manibusan jessmani at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 21:13:43 PDT 2001

Does anyone know if such a thing exists: a third-party
application which allows stronger  security on an MS
windows based machine?

I would like to find the same type of appplication for my
Win98 machine.  Unfortunately, I am stuck with Win98 so
moving up to Linux is not an option.  I could conceivably
upgrade to Win2000 permanently but under Win2000, my
laptop's console port is not recognized.  Haven't been able
to figure out why.

Third-party vendors for the the PalmOS offer such products
which are add-ons to the unsecure PalmOS and basically
handle the authentication tasks of the PalmOS instead of
allowing the PalmOS to do it directly.