SSSCA clarification

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 8 11:20:16 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimen Ching" <jching at flex.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 12:33 AM
Subject: [luau] re: SSSCA clarification

> I am curious.  How does the government intend to enforce this law?
> Also, how do they control other countries from manufacturing the same
> devices that does not follow this law?  Outside of the US, I do not see
> why anyone would buy US made ever again.  This will pretty much destroy
> the US export economy.

Other countries are being forced through political pressure to pass similar
(retarded) laws.  Canada is in the process of passing a DMCA-type law, with
support from the same US corporations and.... IBM!  Even if these foreign
countries don't have these laws, this doesn't stop the US government from
raiding teenager's houses in Norway as the case of the teenager who created
DeCSS.

> I know government people are not the brightest in the world.  But even
> they are not that stupid.

America is known by Europeans as the land of stupid laws.  After these laws
are passed here, America will attempt to enforce their pro-corporate
policies on other countries.  These laws of patent and copyright protection
go far beyond the original intent of copyright, to the point of abusive
control.