SSSCA clarification

Brian Russo brusso at phys.hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:18:47 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:33:50AM -1000, Jimen Ching wrote:
> I am curious.  How does the government intend to enforce this law?
> Also, how do they control other countries from manufacturing the same
> devices that does not follow this law?  Outside of the US, I do not see

Well, the SSSCA would make importing such products illegal.

> why anyone would buy US made ever again.  This will pretty much destroy
> the US export economy.

Destroy is a pretty strong word, but I certainly don't see how this
would help the economy, especially in its current state.

Keep in mind, things like this aren't completely unprecedented,
consider the ban on importing/selling in US scanners that can cover
cellular, etc. However SSSCA would be much more wide reaching than
that.

--
Unix Staff, High Energy Physics Group   <brusso at phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux! http://www.debian.org <wolfie at debian.org>