adobe acrobat equivalent

joel jijoel at lava.net
Thu Nov 29 13:49:39 PST 2001

On Sunday 25 November 2001 07:46 pm, Rodney K wrote:
> anybody know of any program similar to adobe acrobat that I can use in
> Linux to edit .ps files (ex. combine multiple files as one, or
> delete/add pages)?
>
> Rodney

I'm not sure if you're interested in command-line programs to do what you
want with the .ps files, but if you are, here are a couple:

To combine multiple postscript files, you can use the psmerge command. As an
example, to merge the files `slide1.ps', `slide2.ps', and `slide3.ps' into a
new PostScript file, `slideshow.ps', type:

$ psmerge -oslideshow.ps slide1.ps slide2.ps slide3.ps

That would also work to add a new page to the end of a document.

To remove pages, I think you'd have to extract the pages you want with
psselect, merging the extracted pages together. For example, to select the
first ten pages, page 104, pages 23 through 28, and page 2 from the file
`newsletter.ps' and write it to the file `selection.ps', type:

$ psselect -p1-10,104,23-28,2 newsletter.ps selection.ps

I'd imagine there are GUI tools to do this, too, but I don't know what they
are.

--Joel