hardware problem

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Sat Nov 24 02:43:46 PST 2001

I don't know if it's bus master issue, I have encounter this type of problem with 3com 905 cards before, it need to sit on the primary bus master slot, the first slot close to the power supply.  It refuse to work right on any other slot, friend of mind encounter pci mastering problem with scsi and NIC on the same system also, he can't use his scsi cd burner correctly until he removed the pic nic.
Make sure your scsi card and nic not sharing the same IRQ, never use irq 14,15, they are for ide controller, irq 9 is cascaded to irq 2 for creating irq 10-15, pci cards likes to grap and share irq 9, I have encounter problems when this happened on some systems. Irq 12 is for ps/2 on board mouse, stay away from this if you are using the onbard mouse.  You can try use irq 10,11 or 3,4(disable your onboard serial),5(disable sound or 2nd printer port), 7(disable 1st printer port), see if it helps.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:40:37PM -1000, Charles Zachary Lockhart wrote:
> Was wondering if anybody out there is using or has any background solving
> hardware conlicts on the compaq proliant dl series thin-servers?  I'm trying
> to set up a system using a proliant dl360 and a pci fiber channel card, and
> having a bunch of problems with it, problems that I haven't had with this
> card installed on several other pc's.  The thin-server is a bit different
> though: dual P3's, 1GB ram, dual scsi drives, 3 pci busses, everything (the
> drives, the cdrom, the floppy) is hot swappable.  I'm setting the system up
> use the fiber card as a dedicated input for data.  The problem is if I
> telnet into the system, load the drivers, start the program to receive data,
> everything looks good, I'm getting about 80Mbytes/sec.  However, if I'm
> running everything directly, I have all sorts of problems:  sometimes the
> data rate slows down and gets stuck at about 1.5Mbytes/sec, sometimes it
> freezes the screen but leaves a green line across the top that seems to
> flicker semi-periodically, sometimes I get kicked out to a login prompt and
> can log back in and everything is fine, sometimes I get kicked to the login
> prompt but xwindows won't start, sometimes everything just goes nuts on the
> screen.
>
> All of this stuff seems to happen while I'm receiving data and then do
> something like move the mouse or type something in.  I'm guessing it's some
> sort of interrupt conflict over the pci bus, but I don't see why, or how to
> resolve it.  Anybody got suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Charles
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: whatever at whoever.net

"Linux: the operating system with a CLUE... Command Line User Environment"