hardware problem

Charles Zachary Lockhart lockhartc001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Nov 24 00:40:37 PST 2001

Was wondering if anybody out there is using or has any background solving
hardware conlicts on the compaq proliant dl series thin-servers?  I'm trying
to set up a system using a proliant dl360 and a pci fiber channel card, and
having a bunch of problems with it, problems that I haven't had with this
card installed on several other pc's.  The thin-server is a bit different
though: dual P3's, 1GB ram, dual scsi drives, 3 pci busses, everything (the
drives, the cdrom, the floppy) is hot swappable.  I'm setting the system up
use the fiber card as a dedicated input for data.  The problem is if I
telnet into the system, load the drivers, start the program to receive data,
everything looks good, I'm getting about 80Mbytes/sec.  However, if I'm
running everything directly, I have all sorts of problems:  sometimes the
data rate slows down and gets stuck at about 1.5Mbytes/sec, sometimes it
freezes the screen but leaves a green line across the top that seems to
flicker semi-periodically, sometimes I get kicked out to a login prompt and
can log back in and everything is fine, sometimes I get kicked to the login
prompt but xwindows won't start, sometimes everything just goes nuts on the
screen.

All of this stuff seems to happen while I'm receiving data and then do
something like move the mouse or type something in.  I'm guessing it's some
sort of interrupt conflict over the pci bus, but I don't see why, or how to
resolve it.  Anybody got suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Charles