Mixed network connectivity

Wayne Bow admin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Thu Nov 22 10:19:14 PST 2001

Aloha All,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Got a problem and its almost too embarassing to ask about!

I've got a small home LAN with a few computers on it. I'm
connected to the Internet via DSL modem which is connected to a
LinkSYS router to a little 10 MB hub that connects everybody.

My main machine (Athlon 750 Mhz) is running Win2K Advanced
Server. I've got an old Compaq Armada 1510DM laptop that I have
installed Mandrake 8.0 on. The Win2K box has a static IP of
192.168.1.10 while the laptop is receiving its IP from the router. An
ipconfig on the win2k machine verifies 192.168.1.10, GAteway
192.168.1.1, mask of 255.255.255.0.

ifconfig on the Compaq yields inet addr: 192.168.1.101, Bcast
192.168.1.255, mask 255.255.255.0.  I can reach the internet with
both machines either by IP or by name when I run ping tests.  No
problem with surfing the web. A win98 box on this network
(receiving IP info via DHCP) is pingable from the Win2k box and it
receives a response from the win2k box but not the Compaq.

The problem is that I ping the Compaq from the Win2k box or vice
versa and get 'destination host unreachable' or 'Request timed out'
(depending on the box pinging) when I try.

I have tried a number of things to fix this including an attempt to
install Mandrake 8.1 (failed with a message regarding a CPU error
very early on in the install), reinstalling Mandrake 8.0. and messing
around with static assignment of IP on the Compaq. All to no avail.

I feel that I must be missing something basic..or else I'm missing
something not so basic. Or maybe neither...or both. :)

Anybody got an idea what I could check?

Stumped,

Wayne Bow
Network Administrator