cdrom question

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Nov 19 10:37:50 PST 2001

Hi,

I am running Mandrake 8.1 and i've noticed that when I have a cd in the drive and I try to copy a file from the cd to my hard drive, the filenames and directories are copied over, but none of the file info is copied over (all files are 0 bytes). This is a regular cdrom drive, and this occurs even as root. The line for the cdrom drive in fstab looks like this:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

Viewing the contents of the cdrom in nautilus, every file and folder has that pencil with the red circle that signifys that it is wrote protected. I realize that this is not a writeable cdrom drive, but should there still be a write protection? Any ideas how I can get it so that I can copy files from the cdrom drive to my hard drive?

Rodney