router help

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Nov 18 23:40:17 PST 2001

Aloha all,
	I have built a "new" box to use for a router on a home LAN.  It's my
first attempt at a LAN, so it is going slowly....  I've got RH 7.2 and
MonMotha's firewall script ver 2.3.8-pre2 installed on the router.   For
now, I am trying to test the box by routing through a hub to just one
box, but I am building in the capability to route for several.  I am also
trying to use MAC address matching to limit the router to use just known
MAC addresses.  When done, the router will connect to a hub and the hub
will have two boxes and one wireless access point connected to it.  I
have two more boxes upstairs (one iMac, and 1 Windoze box) that will use
the wireless access point to get connected to the net via the router.
The router box appears to work OK by itself, but it doesn't route very
well.  I'm not sure if the problem is the router or the config of the
other boxes.  I am getting some error messages from the firewall script
itself that I can't figure out.  I was wondering if anyone could help...

	The first error I am trying to figure out is this one:
*****************
Local Traffic Rules: 192.168.0.0/24:ACCEPT 192.168.1.0/24:ACCEPT
loopback:ACCEPT Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more
information.
Bad argument `echo'

Setting up masquerading: iptables: Invalid argument
00:90:27:A5:72:22:MASQUERADE iptables: Invalid argument
00:90:27:A5:72:11:MASQUERADE iptables: Invalid argument
08:00:20:81:2D:E6:MASQUERADE iptables: Invalid argument
00:90:D1:01:28:1C:MASQUERADE iptables: Invalid argument
00:90:D1:05:E0:C3:MASQUERADE
*****************
Does this mean the firewall script cannot find the other ethernet cards?
I think the rest of my errors are "cascading" off of this one.  So fixing
this one may take care of that problem.
	Once I get this fixed, how should I set up the "other" boxes on the LAN
to use the router.   I am going to use dhcp on the router to assign IP
addresses, so telling the clients to obtain their addresses via dhcp will
solve most of the setup, I hope.  More specifically, I think I need a
gateway address somewhere, but I am not sure where it goes.  If the LAN
interface on the router is 192.168.1.1, does that become the gateway
address for the boxes internal to the LAN?
	Also, does anyone know if the MonMotha script ver  2.3.8-pre2 will work
properly if the LAN boxes are periodically up and then down?? For
instance, if one of the internal boxes is turned off at night, and then
started again the next day, does the firewall need to be restarted to
take into account the change in status of that particular client?
	Does anyone know if  the MonMotha script ver  2.3.8-pre2 when used on a
router needs the following ports left open?
		 25 	tcp	smtp
		111	tcp 	sunrpc
		515	tcp	printer
		1024	tcp	kdm
		1025	tcp	listen
		6000	tcp	X11
If these are not needed, then I would like to know how to close them to
the outside. (Leaving the printer port open to the inside would be
desirable though.)
Thanks in advance,
Ben