Request for off line security help

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Mon Nov 12 11:48:29 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 03:51:51AM -1000, Yuser wrote:
> Any computer attached to the internet will get portscanned.  I'm surprized
> that being on a CM, this is the first you noticed.  I have a Uunet dialup
> and I get poked, pinged, scanned at least hourly.  I choose to ignore
> it and don't bother to "track" them down.  Others
> feel violated and offended.  I guess it depends on your
> comfort level with what you have running and how secure it really is.

You still don't have any other access out there but dialup? Are you going to come back here for a visit?

> On that note... I am interested with Chris's reponse.
> "This is the technology we use to deliver content faster than everyone
> else."
>
> That is a very VAGUE statement, what technology is this?  How does
> portscanning someone provide faster
> content delivery in the future?  Maybe there is more to this, or I do not
> have all the details but I feel that above statement would need some
> clarification before I would believe it.

I have to agree on that. This event could happen: if I access that 'business' website, they portscan me, portsentry detects a portscan, automaticly drop it's ip in my firewall rules, then I would say screw this.. they may just lost another customer.  I can't see how you can provide faster delivery with portscanning, you could push out more data with out portscan eating up BW.