Fwd: Linux language tutors

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Nov 10 03:02:09 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Farnell" <bfarnell at gte.net>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2001 12:33 AM
Subject: [luau] Re: Fwd: Linux language tutors

> On 2001.11.09 08:23 Dusty wrote:
> > I remember someone on the list does language stuff.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into it, I'm the former Chinese translator.  Any
> resources on that stuff are appreciated, everytime I search the best I can
> find is a Chinese HOW-TO that was last updated in 1998.  Part of the
reason
> I am (torturously) switching over to Debian right now is that they have
> Chinese support built for it.  The few links I can track down to software
> end up in endless chains of RPM dependancies on RH, there are only so many
> webpages and READMEs I can have going simultaneously before I give up.
The
> only thing I ever got to actually install crashed the system.
>
> Warren?  I remember you saying that you had set up or were setting up CJK
> support right about the time I lost connection to the list.  If you have
> any resources besides that ancient how-to (maybe there is a recent
> version?), I'd be interested in them, or
> even just a list of the programs you used and got to work successfully.
> I'm getting a little less green here and not afraid to get my hands dirty,
> so I'm feeling adventurous.
>
> Regards,
> Brian

I don't know much about the CJK support, but I do know that Red Hat 7.2 has
a whole ton of new integrated packages related to Japanese, Chinese and
Korean input methods, localization and font support.  I have only begun to
figure out how to use the Japanese input, and I have NO CLUE how to use
Chinese and Korean although it is installed on my systems and activated.
Please give Red Hat 7.2 a try sometime and let me know if you can figure it
out.