e-mail

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Nov 7 02:10:41 PST 2001

Ron,

	Yes, there is a way to do that.  BTW, questions and answers are what
this group is all about ;-)  It isn't at all like the GUI you may be used
to, but you can do your mail (less the graphic inserts, bells and
whistles etc) from the command line with /bin/mail.  You can find out
about how to use this by opening a command shell and typing "man mail"
without the quotes.  The mail reference manual is also available on line at:

 http://132.239.50.3/offerings/userhelp/HTML/mail.refman,d.html

I seldom use the command line apps for my personal mail, although I find
them extremely handy in shell scripts.  Knowledge of how to read and send
mail from a command line is useful for other tasks though.  I had
occasion to get a list of names from a file on a Sun Server at work
recently.  I needed to get this list to my desktop pc so I could answer
an e-mail and include the list. The server didn't have a floppy drive, or
a GUI mail app.  Solution:  "cat filename | /bin/mailx -s "file of names"
ben at work."  That took all of a few seconds to run and I got exactly what
I needed out of it.  Meanwhile, our M$ MCSE was calling all over trying
to figure out how to do this... I quietly left her to her devices and
went about my business...

	I don't know if your version of Linux has other mail applications
installed, but you may wish to investigate the kmail, xmail, Elm, Mutt,
Netscape, and StarOffice mail applications.  (You already mentioned
pine.) Mail is also available in the emacs editor if you prefer that once
you set it up. You can find info on the emacs mail interface at:

http://www.cis.ksu.edu/Systems/Info/gnu/vm.Top.html

(I know this is not an exhaustive list of mail apps, and I have probably
left out some good ones, so check around and see what everyone else
suggests, try a few and pick one or 20.)

	At the risk of generating some discussion on the list, I'll also suggest
that you can use "fetchmail" to get your mail from a pop-server. Find out
about fetchmail at:

 http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/

This will end up storing your mail on your hardrive in
/var/spool/mail/$USERNAME directory (unless you specify it to go
somewhere else.)  From here, you can use /bin/mail to read it without
having to fool with the pop-server from the command line because
fetchmail did that for you already.  For that matter, you can use just
about all the mail apps I listed above to read mail stored in your system
tree except for StarOffice.  I haven't figured out why the authors of
StarOffice did not include that capability, all I know is that it isn't
there.

Hope this helps,
Good Luck,

Ben