tarballs

Eric Hattemer hattenator at usa.net
Tue Nov 6 00:27:00 PST 2001

That's a good question.  I know that since that's how it comes, and it's not
an RPM, that sounds like a good description, but it's a little ambiguous.  I
assume you're compiling it using gmake?  In that case, check the file in the
old version's untarred directory called Makefile.  If it has a rule called
something like uninstall, try to uninstall it using that, then just install
the new version afterwards.  If it has a rule called something like upgrade,
try "gmake upgrade" from the newer version.  Chances are 9/10 that it won't
have either of those.  In that case, you have two alternatives.  First, the
hard one.  Figure out what files were created by the gmake install that you
did originally.  You can look through the Makefile and see what it put and
where it put it.  Then delete those.  Then go into the new version, and do
another gmake install.  The easier method is just to do a gmake install from
the new version, and ignore the old version.  It should write over the old
version, and not leave any big problems.  It might waste some disk space if
the old program had files the new version doesn't.  I personally would go
for the second method, but that's just because I'm lazy.  Most programs will
work fine with this method.  But I always reserve the right to say "You
should have gone through and uninstalled all the old files" if this doesn't
work for you :).  Good luck.

-Eric Hattemer