spt

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 18:28:41 PST 2001

Lou Rickard wrote:

>each desktop having a giant extended screen, and the only
>
>way I can access different parts of the screen is by dragging
>
>the mouse in the direction I'm trying to go.
>
>Can anybody give me some advice on how to set this to
>normal?

You are probably used to seeing either virtual desktops or workspaces.
 They are
similar to each other (but distinct) and are window manager specific.  I
think what's
happening here is you've got a virtual screen (not the same as a virtual
desktop) set
to a higher resolution than your physical display.  As far as I know,
this can happen
one of two ways.  1) if you set it up explicitly with the "Virtual"
config option, or 2)
if you have your startup resolution set to a value other than the
highest on in the list
of valid resolutions for the current display mode.  I am assuming you
are running
XFree86 4.x, but it should be nearly the same for earlier versions.

Open up your XFree86 config file.  It should be /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or
/etc/X11/XF86Config or something similar.  If you are unsure what it is
using
it should tell you right before you "startx" (also it is probably in a
log file somewhere
on your system).

Delete lines that start with "Virtual" (There probably won't be any).

Change all lines that start with "Modes" such that the highest
resolution is listed first.
In particular make sure you change the "Modes" line that is in the same
subsection
as the "Depth" line that is equal to the "DefaultDepth" line.

--Ray Strode