When Free Is Better

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Fri Nov 2 20:35:17 PST 2001

Warren Togami wrote:

> Ouch...
>
> I got my issue of Hawaii Business in the mail today.  Most of the article is
> fair and balanced... but one paragraph was rather alarming.
>
> "... Because open-source software basically gives free reign to any and all
> computer enthusiasts to get inside the belly of the software - the source
> code - and make improvements or changes to it, mission-critical projects
> would obviously require closed-source commercial applications, such as
> Microsoft Windows or Macintosh."
>
> This plainly states that open source is unsuitable for mission critical
> applications, just because it is open source?  I'm afraid that Mark Hines
> and I have been gravely misunderstood during our interview.  This conveys in
> a very strong way that I, a Linux advocate, think Linux is merely a toy that
> cannot reliably do mission critical jobs.
>
> This is the exact opposite of what we are trying to convey.  Many Open
> Source server projects has been shown to be equal or even superior to
> commercial software, especially with respect to security and stability.  For
> example, read the recent Gartner warning saying that Microsoft IIS web
> server is a severe liability in its lack of security.  Apache has had
> nowhere near this level of vulernability, while Apache is running the
> majority of Internet web sites.  Apache is only one of many Open Source
> success stories.
>
> The uninitiated already have this false pretense that "Money must equate to
> excellence." when it comes to technology.  I hope the notion of this
> paragraph does not become reinforced in the readership of this article.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
##################

Warren,

If Linux wasn't mission critical choice what did the
Pentagon Chose it?

What Publication is this?

Give me the Publisher's name and I'll call the outfit.
What they say is Wrong. Dead wrong.

 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small
Business Hawaii.
Running Caldera Linux 2.4 & Free BSD 4.0 UNIX
Support Open Source in Business and Computing.