HELP NEEDED SATURDAY: Installing Terminal Server

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Nov 2 00:02:06 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Bow" <admin at stfrancis-oahu.org>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 9:16 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: HELP NEEDED SATURDAY: Installing Terminal Server

> Hey Warren,
>
> Are you still talking about 12 stations plus the server (I believe
> that's what we talked about months ago?)  Whats the layout of the
> lab? Or is this a building wide project?

This will be 24 LTSP stations in a single computer room.  The lab is about
24 desks that are bolted to the ground.  The ceiling is already ugly with
exposed insulation, pipes and conduits, so a maze of wires wouldn't hurt
much.  The plan is currently to run wires from the switches in a bundle
hanging from the ceiling, and drop down to the rows of computers along the
wall on the side of each row.  Either that... or run three single wires to
each row, each with a single 8 port hub.

We'll have to figure out the final plan on Saturday.  I have very little
experience with wiring and switching, so someone more clueful in networking
will need to smack some sense into me.

> I've got two crimpers and two testers I can bring as well as some
> experience running cable and I think I even have a punch down tool
> 'round here somewhere.  I'll check.

Thanks!