HELP NEEDED SATURDAY: Installing Terminal Server

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Nov 1 19:37:47 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "whenever" <whatever at whoever.net>
To: <warren at togami.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] HELP NEEDED SATURDAY: Installing Terminal Server

> Warren,
> Do you have a few RJ45 crimping tools for people to use ?
> EIA-568A standard
> 1) white/blue pair
> pin  4/5
> 2) white/orange pair
> pin  3/6
> 3) white/green pair
> pin 1/2
> 4) white/brown pair
> pin 7/8

We have plenty of Cat5 cable and RJ45 ends, but only one crimping tool, one
crap unreliable tester and one slightly better tester.  We would really
appreciate it if people could bring crimping and testing tools on Saturday.

> for images:
> I would tar.gz the image and export it out as nfs, boot the slackware's
> boot disk(net.i) and the root disk(color.gz) on the work
>station, you can do all the paritation and format of the HD,
> mount the HD and the nfs export, untar your image on
> the workstation, reboot with the boot disk and apply
> option 'mount root=/dev/hd?, login and run lilo, reboot, you are done.

Thanks.  Eventually I'd like to create a toolkit for doing this quickly.
Charles, is this the method you were thinking of?

> I will try to make it, can people park by the lab and around the pickup
area or  the parking below ?

I don't know how the parking situation will be yet.  When you enter the
campus that day ask the guard booth where to park.  We will need to bring
machines from the Chew Tech Center in the middle of campus to Kawaihao, the
big stone building at the top of campus.  You can see them both on this map.
http://www.midpac.edu/map.html